Pages

Monday, October 6, 2008

Interviews and ID Cards

Last week I sat down and fired off about 15 resumes for chef job openings and on tuesday I heard back from one of them, KultureKrogen in Lund. I talked with the owner who invited me to come by for an interview in the morning on wednesday. Well I got there and after a short interview and coffee with him and the head chef I worked until mid-afternoon just observing the mechanics of a Swedish kitchen. After only 30 minutes the head chef gave me a giant bucket of chickpeas to make any salad of my choosing. I only had a little over an hour so i busted out a ceaser dressing, diced up some red pepper and threw in some fresh arugula. I mixed all of that together with the peas and then threw some baby tomatoes on top. It turned out pretty tasty and got served with the other salads. I was also informed by the other chefs that a "celebrity" would be coming in for lunch. For the life of me I cannot remember her name, but she could be the next prime minister of Sweden.

Anyways, I heard she ate my salad.

Before I left I was asked to make a quick green pepper sauce so I did that quickly then left after talking quickly with the head chef about his duties and responsibilities. I am not holding my breath about getting a head chef position so soon in my chefing career, but given the oppurtunity I think I could do a great job.

On friday I went to Malmo for an interview at La Casita which seemed to go alright. I was told I would get a call this week about coming in to work for a day, so we'll see if that happens.

All in all it was just a huge relief to see that it wasnt quite as impossible as everyone made it out to be to find work. Though if I dont get a job soon I think I am going to have to whore myself out to women in Landskrona and the surrounding municipalities.

After waiting for 4 weeks and after going to EVERY BANK in town I finally got my official Swedish ID Card. Just one step closer to being a real swede. I also like that when people ask for ID from me they do so with a certain amount of disbelief as I am NOT SWEDISH. Then I whip out my ID Card and BLAM they realize that I am not just another tourist or foreigner.

I am an OFFICIAL foreigner.

No comments: